Keeping A Common Toxin Away From Your Dog

CBS Philly

By Nan Talleno

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Xylitol, a sugar substitute found in a variety of sugar-free cookies, candies, puddings, baked goods, mints and chewing gum, has been proven to be highly toxic, even at times, fatal, to dogs. It’s also found in certain types of chewable vitamins and throat lozenges and even some brands of toothpaste. (This is a good reason to use pet toothpaste for your dog instead of toothpaste made for people.) But xylitol is most commonly used in a wide variety of popular sugar-free gums on the market today.

Please check the ingredients and keep away from your dog’s reach.

According to the Animal Poison Control Center of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the effects of xylitol ingestion in dogs are quick and the window of opportunity to aid is small. Within thirty minutes or less of a dog’s ingestion of just…

View original post 91 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s